Monday, January 26, 2009

Tip for Recessionistas #1

My friend Katherine is so clever. I was whining to her about how worn my wallet looked, how they don't make leather goods like they used to, how the outlet mall did not have one wallet I liked. . .

She walked into her garage and returned to the room carrying a little jar of Murphy Oil Soap. Katherine told me that Murphy is magic, and that she used it for her tack when she was riding horses years ago. She also told me that she uses it all the time to bring out the best in her wood furniture.

Before I knew it, she had a damp rag and was dipping it in the viscous stuff. She then rubbed it on my wallet and, before my eyes, smoothed out the cracks in the leather and made the wallet look loved, not trashed.

When I mentioned Murphy to my dad, he said, "Of course I have that. I use it all the time." He is Mr. Resourceful: He shines his shoes, repairs anything around the house before tossing it out, and goes to great lengths to fix cherished items. I have a popcorn popper that he and my mom received as a wedding gift-- 50 years ago! Sure the handle is no longer metal but is fashioned out of a broom handle. But it still works!

Tonight I borrowed my dad's Murphy Oil Soap and treated my boots and leather shoes to a good washing. They look fantastic! All women and men who are tightening their belts right now should also be using Murphy on those belts, their wallets, purses, shoes and boots. Being frugal means taking care of your stuff and making it last.

No comments: