Monday, January 12, 2009

Reading for Pleasure



Yesterday I was talking to a group of women about my favorite places to glean fashion information. While there are some good blogs and websites (that will be another post!), I am happiest reading books and magazines. As I have stated before, I also love to read the New York Times "Style" section on Thursdays.

What I look for in books is good advice on weeding out wardrobes and ways to update one's look. One favorite is Nothing to Wear, by Jesse Garza and Joe Lupo. This book offers extremely insightful, practical advice on how to edit your closet and determine your style. I like how the authors show their sensitivity toward this sometimes difficult editing process by periodically "checking in" with the reader.

Another book I can recommend is Before You Put That On, by Lloyd Boston. He gives a tip a day on how women can dress better. Dress Your Best, by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London features photos of real people, in every shape and size imaginable. These two television hosts show how to work with one's assets to dress well for work and play. When I get calls from potential Santa Barbara wardrobe clients, I say that I am like Stacy and Clinton minus the sarcasm and trash can for tossing out clothing.

In terms of color, say what you will about women feverishly reaching into their purses to pull out their color swatches while shopping. These women are not to be mocked! Having a clear sense of what colors flatter and do not flatter you can save you frustration, stress, time, and money. Though the book features comically outdated styles, the color advice in Color Me Beautiful, by Carole Jackson, is fabulous.

Speaking of comics, the books by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine, the original "What Not to Wear" duo, are a hoot. Their first book covers ways to divert attention from "big boobs, thick legs, and saddlebags," among other body issues. The writing is funny and their advice and photos are great.

I subscribe to Lucky magazine but it often just makes me feel old and frivolous. However, the Lucky Shopping Manual contains buckets of fantastic wardrobe guidance.

On the subject of magazines, one is a standout: Easy Living. If only it were available regularly in the U.S.! This exceptional magazine is from England and never lets me down. It features consistently smart articles on everything from fashion to food to books. Maybe if enough women demand better U.S. circulation, subscriptions will become more affordable. Barnes and Noble and Borders sometimes do carry Easy Living, but don't count on it! (Try to ignore the "Losing Weight" words on the cover image above. The magazine focuses on healthy women, not dieting.)

This weekend my husband and I are celebrating our anniversary in the desert. Along with my bathing suit, I am lugging an enormous bag of clothing reading material that has been sitting next to my bed for weeks. I cannot wait to lounge by the pool and read!

No comments: