Thursday, January 22, 2009

Soul-Sapping Outlet Shopping

Shopping at outlet malls is one of my least favorite pastimes. These places are always crowded with people who look tired and harried, and it seems like quantity wins over the selection available. Great deals can be had, but at the expense of a heck of a lot of time. So, given all the incredible sales going on everywhere right now, why on earth would I go to an outlet mall?

We were on our way to a romantic weekend in the desert and it seemed like a good idea at the time. And my heart does race when I see a J. Crew store in any form. But at the Cabazon Premium Outlet Mall, my beloved store had only a few t-shirts, bright yellow sweaters--yes, they do look great on Michelle Obama-- and a few belts. Oh, it was sad there, and it was grim in the other trillion stores as well. Some things were discounted quite a bit, but the deal were no better than the ones at my local mall.

What made the detour worthwhile was this: a long-coveted item is no longer on my list. For three years I have been stalking a long black St. John sweater. It never goes on sale and is priced around $1475--a bit beyond my budget. In Cabazon, I tried on the sweater. It was only $750!!! And guess what? I no longer loved it nor could I imagine it hanging in my closet. Whew!

My advice is this: Only buy something at an outlet if you truly love it. The clothing is largely made just for those outlet stores, so quality varies. You are not always getting last season's clothing or overstock from the "real" stores.

1 comment:

Ms. 50something said...

I've hunted for items at these stores and have rarely been satisfied with the purchases. And then it is so far to return them!