Saturday, January 17, 2009

Calling all Designers!

When the Boden catalog lands in my mailbox, I get very excited. Since I want to make its perusal something special, I wait until I can drool over every page in peace. This means waiting until my girls are in bed.

As usual the new catalog has been pored over and I have already faux ordered several items. Though the models are younger than me--except for one who is a regular in More magazine--the styles are spot on for women my age. Why can't more designers figure out that what women in their 40s and 50s want are fashionable clothes that bring out their best assets and downplay the others? Is this so hard? Must I spend all of my money at Boden every season?

Here is my open letter to designers:
Please make dresses that have sleeves, sweaters that nip in at the waist a bit, and cool, stylish coats that can be worn over everything from skirts to jeans. Please design clothing with color in mind and make some pretty pieces in printed fabrics as well. We want to look fashionable but not silly, beautiful but not fussy, and polished but not stuffy.

Making the sort of clothing that will reflect the above wishes will win you are hearts, loyalty, and a hefty portion of our earnings.

No comments: