Friday, January 16, 2009

A Peddler

My husband seems to believe that a charming little peddler will arrive at our doorstep, bringing with him a rack full of great suits, in his size, and with a fantastic tailor in tow. At least three times a year he sighs, looks upward and states, "Oh, I just really need a gray suit. Now how can I get one?" His wife is a wardrobe consultant, and he asks this question!

He is not alone in this fantasy of hoping that someone will magically appear at the door with that dreamed-of clothing item, whether it is comfortable, chic black pumps, terrific, flattering jeans, or the ideal white blouse. I have friends and clients who share this fantasy.

The reality is this: A person must shop--whether online or in stores--if he or she wants something. The dream peddler will not be knocking on the door any time soon. So here are some simple guidelines for shopping: First, figure out just what you need by going through your closet and determining what gaps there are in your wardrobe. Then decide what in particular you are looking for in each item. For example, if you want a pair of black pants, decide if you want them with a straight leg or with some flare, high or low-waisted, wool or rayon. . . Think about the stores that may carry the item you want and call first to see if they do indeed carry it.

Finally, go to the stores and try on the pants, not settling for anything but the ones that match your criteria. If you go the online route, try talking to their customer service person before making your purchase to get more details about the fit and quality of the item in question.

Of course you can also call me, and I will search tirelessly for what you want. You can just hand me your list, and soon I will be handing you a bag full of clothing. I'm even better than the peddler!

1 comment:

Ms. 50something said...

I'd love someone to show up at my doorstep with just the right jacket. Peddlers, are you out there?