Friday, January 16, 2009

I Shoe'd have Known

Wow! What a terrible pun. Sometimes my dad's pun-prone genes just crash through.

A couple of weeks ago I was seduced by a gorgeous pair of shoes. It was love. The shoes were made of soft black Italian suede, in a t-strap style with a two inch wedge heel. I tried them on, found that they did not instantly irritate my bunion, and walked around the shop for a few minutes. Though the sole seemed rather stiff and my heel slipped a bit, I was smitten and could not be talked out of them.

Normally when I buy something new I cannot wait to wear it. However, I put off wearing the black beauties until I worked on Friday. Five hours later I could not wait to take the shoes off. They left a blister on my right heel and my toes were squished and red.

My Santa Barbara wardrobe clients get an earful when I look into their closets and see lovely shoes that have barely been worn. "You need to look for pretty and comfortable shoes," I tell them over and over.

I admit that in the past it was not easy to find attractive shoes that were not hideous-looking. Nowadays the magical combination of style and comfort is much more common. From Aerosoles to Sofft, to Ugg, women can now have it all in footwear.

A recent discovery made by a friend who is taking tango lessons (!) is the brand Tara. These shoes are incredibly fun and sexy and are so comfortable that they can be danced in for hours! Who knew?

If I am going to be walking from my car to a restaurant or will be sitting versus walking during the day, I will wear my new shoes. I have learned my lesson and will be taking my own shoe-shopping advice from now on.

No comments: