Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wardrobe Inventory

I've worked in retail forever and every year I know the stores must take inventory, a dreadful chore. I always thought that taking an inventory of my own closet would be far less tedious, and so this year I tested my theory. Was it dull? Yes. Was it enlightening? Yes. Would I recommend it? Definitely!

My family kept asking me what on earth was I doing. My husband was not seeing the value in this time-consuming inventory exercise. Only later, when I described how I learned what NOT to buy, did he understand why I would write down everything contained in my wardrobe.

Here is what I learned:
I do not need more than 3 black skirts (casual, dressy, work).
Seeing so many black skirts in my closet clarified the foolishness of redundant purchases in general.
I don't like wearing blouses.
So I should stop purchasing them even though they are ALWAYS listed as must-have items.
I do not need to keep buying gray sweaters.
Though I love them, I only have one body to keep warm and I do not live in a very cold climate.
I do not wear shoes that hurt my feet (surprise!).
Wow! I had at least 4 pairs of shoes in my arsenal that have always hurt. Stop doing that, Lori!!!
I do wear dresses.
So I should spend money on these, since I feel good in them, as opposed to separates.

In the end, I had a large bag of clothing to offer a friend, and a clearer idea of holes in my wardrobe. Even if you do not spend an entire day writing down what your closet contains, do look at what you own and see if you discover any unhealthy buying patterns. I guarantee this exercise will ultimately save you time and money, especially if you follow up by making an appointment with me at Wardrobe Wisdom!

No comments: