Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Surprising Read

Just when I was congratulating myself on not renewing my subscription to Harper's Bazaar, I came upon three insightful articles. How refreshing it was to find useful information after dozens of pages with outrageous-looking, pencil-thin models wearing preposterous clothing. I had a hard time relating those photos to Wardrobe Wisdom.

However, I enjoyed reading two pages describing clothing designer Alberta Ferretti's lifestyle and home. What caught my eye was this jet-setter's statement that she travels with only her "jolly pieces." She goes on to say, "You know, the outfit that always, no matter how tired or stressed you are, makes you feel better." What fantastic advice! We should all determine what clothing qualifies as "jolly" in our closet; then we should make sure to pack them when we travel; I would add that knowing what pieces make us feel extra good can lead us to put such clothing on when we need a lift. These happy pieces also remind us the qualities we should look for when we shop.

Another article, titled "What Your Clothes Say about You" gives a clear message in its subtitle: "Your Style May Be Sending All the Wrong Messages." Though it sounds superficial, "what we wear sends powerful signals." Furthermore, "now is always a good moment to fine-tune."

The article seeks the advice of designers, including Tory Burch and Michael Kors, but such experts are not necessary. What we need to consider when assessing each piece in our wardrobe are some basic questions: Does it fit? Is it current? Does it flatter my figure? Does it convey the current image I want to project? Remember: it's the current you, not the you of five or ten years ago, that your clothing can and will reflect.

What did not come as a surprise to me was the smart clothing philosophy of Christiane Amanpour. For this committed journalist who has traveled to and written about some of the most conflict-ridden places on the globe, a preoccupation with fashion is not part of her makeup. Instead of being fashion-obsessed, Amanpour has "crafted for herself something that can make life a lot less complicated: a uniform." She consistently wears clothing that works for her, knows what suits her and, importantly, what does not suit her. She says, "I don't look good in frou-frou. No puffs and no plunge."

Creating personal uniforms is what I suggest my Wardrobe Wisdom clients do. Once we discuss the client's lifestyle, clothing preferences, and budget, I help her or him put together go-to outfits. Having such staples makes getting dressed a breeze.

The lessons I learned while reading these three articles makes me question my decision about no longer receiving Harper's Bazaar every month. Perhaps I will peruse it at Chaucer's and buy it when other such astute articles appear.

No comments: