Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Good Salesperson

Meeting a salesperson who can help you find what you are seeking, suggest what else may work for your body shape and budget, and give you the truth when you ask "How do I look?" is a revelation. Once I have found this person, I am very loyal. I used to think that certain stores were better at training their employees and therefore had better salespeople, but I have learned that this is not always the case.

One day I was trying on bathing suits--a loathsome task--and managed to get locked out of my dressing room. I had hoped (with desperate optimism) to simply pop out of my room for a moment, find a salesperson lurking nearby who could get me another suit, and pop back into my room. Thus I did not bother to get completely dressed but instead opted to make a skirt out of my shawl and tied it over the bikini. Once I realized that I was locked out with no salesperson in sight I realized I had two options: attempt to crawl under the door which could have resulted in further humiliation had I gotten stuck a la Winne the Pooh, or cruise the floor in my bikini and shawl skirt ensemble, perhaps for hours. I took the latter route and only had to wander for 10 minutes before I spied a person who could let me back into my room. She took her sweet time doing this though and seemed to be oblivious to my discomfort.

This embarrassing experience led me to swear off that store for quite awhile. However, while shopping for a Santa Barbara Wardrobe Wisdom client, I ended up there one day. Imagine my delight to find a very friendly, competent, and helpful woman who found just the black jacket I had been looking for. I have come to learn that great salespeople can be found anywhere, and that it is my job as a shopper to put up with nothing less.

No comments: