Monday, October 6, 2008

Consignment Treasures

When it comes to shopping for clothes, I am not a hunter. While I love to get a deal and find something truly original, I do not like to claw through piles of clothing, elbow to elbow with crazed shoppers. This is why consignment stores are some of my favorite places to shop.

For the most part, the buyers have already pawed through stacks of gently used clothing and jewelry with well-trained eyes. My strategy is to shop often, at least once a week, to see what gems have come into the stores. On Sunday, the Los Angeles Times published another story about consignment stores in its Image section.

Here in Santa Barbara we have some terrific consignment stores which are well-organized and tidy. I often bring my clients' clothing to them, and more often than not, I leave with a wonderful find. The ones I have had the best luck in are The Closet and Renaissance. At the former, the clothing is fashion-forward and fun. Lines of UCSB students with their castoffs in tow were at The Closet's doors once the school year began last week. At Rennaissance you will find gorgeous ball gowns and lovely, classic designer wear as well as a lot of things from reputable chains such as Ann Taylor and Banana Republic. I have also found beautiful, one-of-a-kind jewelry at Renaissance. The saleswomen are very helpful, and getting to know them is a good thing. Once they understand your tastes, they can call and alert you to items that have come into the store that may suit you. Of course, this is both a great and a cursed service. More than once I have cheerily talked to Sally at Renaissance on the phone and am soon parting with a chunk of my paycheck. Still, what I purchase is a bargain compared to the clothings' original prices.

Shopping in consignment stores can become habit-forming once you have tasted it. I find myself eager to check out local consignment stores whenever I travel. You can even feel somewhat righteous about shopping in consignment stores as it is a form of recycling!

No comments: