Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Costume Hunting

Dressing up in a costume for Halloween does not make my list of fun activities. I don't like drawing attention to myself, costume stores are creepy to me, and I would much rather put money into buying a great new dress than into the purchase of a weird one-time only getup.

With that said, I do have a pretty good time assembling costumes for others. This year one of my Santa Barbara Wardrobe Wisdom clients has given me the task of finding a Mod Squad costume. On a daily basis this woman is incredibly chic and has a singular style. Dressing her to look like the always-cool blond babe of Mod Squad fame will not be much of a stretch.

After checking out photos of Peggy Lipton, who played Julie on the show, my first stop is my own closet. Do I have anything appropriately groovy? I do have a great Marc Jacobs skirt that may work, and I long sweater that is very 60's as well. I regret donating a pair of fantastic white go-go boots that were a friend's daughters. Being a major purger has its drawbacks sometimes. Were those really taking up that much room?

I want to have options for my client to choose from, so I head to Alpha Thrift. I cruise the costume section and find a couple of possibilities in late 60's fabric dresses. I am thrilled to find some crocheted ponchos and an amazing crocheted skirt. Now I know that the clothing part will not be hard; it's finding the shoes and wig that may be a challenge.

No comments: