Monday, October 22, 2012

Very Useful Shopping Advice

One of my favorite blogs, PutThisOn, recently posted a very good piece on shopping. The writer suggests shoppers go to high end stores:  "This is useful even if you can’t afford such things, because by handling the best of what’s out there, you’ll get a better sense of how other items compare. When you’re out doing your real shopping, you’ll have a better eye for how to spot quality and know what things you value."

I have done this before, when I tried on an exquisite jacket at Saks Fifth Avenue in Santa Barbara. You can read about my experience here. I think about that jacket and its fit and feel whenever I try on other jackets. And I remind myself of what true quality is by heading to Saks or other high end stores on a regular basis. This has saved me from making unwise purchases.

While combing the internet to find a vintage photo of a Saks department store, I made a very exciting discovery! There is a department store museum. Who knew? Go here to learn more but note that the site is being renovated.

No comments: