Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Image Goals--Write Them Down

Photo Credit: Flickr, The Commons

I was honored to be a guest speaker in Sara Caputo's adult education class last weekend. She expertly covered the topic of organizing one's home and office, giving useful, clear advice on how to become more productive.

Then it was my turn to talk about wardrobe organization. I told the class that thinking about one's clothing is more than just a superficial exercise. Since we all must get dressed everyday, why not look our best, and make sure our clothing reflects who we want to be and how we want the world to see us? Therefore,  I spent a few minutes talking about image goals--how we want to be perceived. I then asked them to think about their personal image goals and to write down a few descriptive words for them.

Sara got the sharing started and revealed that she was a bit surprised by her word: polished. We talked about what that meant to her and how to achieve a more polished look. Then I asked for others to share their image goals and we discussed the deeper nature of this kind of exercise. It was an illuminating session for people.

I recommend that you give some serious thought at least once a year to your own image goals. Does your wardrobe reflect how you want to be seen? How can you make this happen? I would be interested in your results so please let me know if you want to share!


No comments: