Monday, October 29, 2012

Public Speaking



When I was in high school, I took a speech class, hoping it would help me overcome my shyness about speaking in public. Nope! Years later,  before I entered the teaching profession, I took an acting class at Orange Coast College, in Costa Mesa, California. Boy did that push me to leave my comfort zone. By the end of the semester, I felt a lot more comfortable about standing in front of students.

Today one of my favorite aspects of Wardrobe Wisdom is public speaking.  Sometimes I am hired by a company's human resource department to remind employees of the dress code and what professional clothing means. Other times I talk about the season's trends, how to edit a closet, how to shop more wisely, and how to get out of a clothing rut. I have also spoken at clothing swap parties, advising women about what to swap and what to pass on.  These talks always include lively discussions, and I invariably learn something important.

Last month I spoke with Vickie (pictured above), from Renaissance Fine Consignment, about holiday wear. We were at the University Club in downtown Santa Barbara and brought along some lovely clothing to display and use as examples. On November 15 I will be speaking about dressing for different body shapes at Encanto in Santa Barbara from 2-6 pm. I will share more details this week. You can contact the store at 722-4338.

Please contact me if your club or organization is looking for a speaker. I can honestly say that I love it and do it well!

No comments: