Monday, March 3, 2014

Thanks, Dad



My dad does not give a hoot about fashion. When I was growing up, I would dread our trips to the neighborhood hardware store. Inevitably, we would run into someone from school who would see my dad in his weekend uniform of strange shorts, a much-loved UCLA T-shirt, tube socks, and sneakers. The photo above is recent; his uniform is eerily reminiscent of past ensembles.

His interest in clothing and style has not changed over the years which is, of course just fine. He has many other wonderful qualities, including an ability to build most anything and devise clever solutions for difficult problems. Years ago he meticulously measured my closet, asked how I wanted to store my clothes, made many sketches on draft paper, and then built me a spectacular closet. Though he may not be a verbally expressive man, he shows his love by doing things to make his family's life easier.

I was reminded of my dad while reading Chris Erskine's column in today's Los Angeles Times. Erskine writes about spending quality time with his daughter, however he can get it. On this day, he helped her organize and create closet shelving. Go here to read this touching article.

No comments: