Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Mystery Solved

Image Credit: tinaadamsconsulting.com

I received a question from one of my readers recently that I have been asked before but have not addressed in my blog:

I have a wardrobe question that is starting to freak me out. 
I have holes in my clothes! Not wool clothing, but cotton. Cotton t-shirts that are lighter in weight both cheapy Gap Ts and a couple of Anthropologie Ts. Today I wore a T-shirt from Banana Republic that I just got and have worn maybe twice. I looked down and sure enough two small holes! 
It could possibly be moths but the weird thing is #1 they're cotton, #2 they are always in the same spot- the front, in the middle, just at or below my belly button area. 
So, of course, I googled it and I got an article that first mentioned Silverfish (yuck), but then in the comments (there were lots of comments, so I know I'm not the only one with this problem) it was mentioned that perhaps it was caused by leaning against granite counters while doing dishes, etc. 
So my question would be, have you heard anything about this happening? 
I know it could be moths or even silverfish, but why would they only be in the same area of the shirt?
It's starting to make me crazy, so I thought I'd see if you had any wisdom about it.

And here is my answer:

I have experienced this problem and so have many of my friends and clients. It seems to be an issue with the seat belt! Try putting a soft piece of fabric between your top and the belt and see if that helps. How frustrating! I, too have lost many a top (inexpensive and not) to this culprit. 

I hope this helps!

No comments: