Friday, July 27, 2012

Virtual Fittings



Is this a dream come true? Many shoppers think so. In the Los Angeles Times this month, I read an article about a machine similar to a body scanner. Once you step inside it and get scanned, you receive a printout that recommends styles to fit your frame and the stores that sell them. Talk about streamlining the shopping experience!

In my Wardrobe Wisdom work, I encounter a lot of men and women who detest shopping and hire me to do it for them (which I am delighted to do!).  They have spent countless hours in stores, ending up with nothing but frustration and despair at the end of the day. Now "new technology is making it easier than ever to find clothes that fit and flatter."

Naturally, retailers hope that these new machines will, in the end, mean more profits for them. What I  hope is that shoppers will learn what styles suit them best and where to find them. After determining what styles are most flattering for their body shape, they can venture away from the list of stores provided by the machine. Armed with self-knowledge, shopping can become more pleasurable, involving less time and energy.

No comments: