Monday, April 4, 2011

100 Dresses



No, that is not the number I have in my closet. It is the title of a book featuring iconic and historical dresses from The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Reading this book transports me to different eras and places. I learn how exaggerated the bustle (that huge, shelf-like extension of a woman's bottom) became in 1885. I see how modern a floral silk dress by Coco Chanel can look. I feel thankful that the very tight corsets from the early 1900s are no longer required. Oh, and the gorgeous details, such as sequins, beading, hand embroidery, hand stitching, and hand painted designs, are simply divine to admire.

Anyone who loves fashion and likes to learn about its history would enjoy this book immensely. I purchased it at the Museum Store at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.

No comments: