Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shopping in Santa Barbara- One



Locals and tourists want to know about the best places to shop in Santa Barbara. For the next few weeks, I will be sharing information about my local shopping forays. I will let you know where I went, who was helpful, what I found, and why you should go there. I welcome your shopping experiences via comments on this blog or on my Wardrobe Wisdom Facebook page. And if there is a store you'd like me to visit, please let me know.

My first place is not one of Santa Barbara's (few remaining) local boutiques, but Saks Fifth Avenue, at 101 State Street. Many, many women have told me over the years that they never go to Saks. They think it is "too snooty" "too expensive" or "too old ladyish." I think a lot of people are intimidated by Saks Fifth Avenue's reputation an upscale East Coast institution that has not kept up with the times. Are the prices high? Some are. But most of Saks clothing is no more higher priced than what you will find at (the now defuct) Blue Bee, Wendy Foster, or Diani. Comparable items are actually a bit less, which always surprises people.

Here is what I like about Saks: helpful salespeople such as Patricia Elswick upstairs. She helped me find items for a client and did not seem to care whether or not I purchased anything. I also like that there is an experienced seamstress on site to show me how something can be altered. I like how there is a large department on the first floor devoted to jeans and current labels, and that there is always a small sale rack there. I LOVE the Theory, Diane von Furstenberg, Milly, and Sinclaire lines featured on the second floor. Today I purchased a divine DVF dress for $169 (originally $425!).

It is worthwhile to pop into Saks, even if it is just to gaze at its remarkable selection of shoes.

No comments: