Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Tale of Two Holes


Do you recall my post about the value of a dry run? Well, I took my own advice and tried on a dress for an upcoming wedding days before the event. Having lost weight during my recent illness, I was confident that a figure-hugging dress I adored would fit just fine. So I took it out of my closet and paired it with a bright pink shawl. Now all I needed were some shoes. Fortunately, Payless pulled through with a strappy pair of gold sandals featuring a reasonable heal.

Upon closer inspection of my ensemble the day before, I noticed with dismay that there was a hole in my shawl. After consulting with friends and almost anyone who would listen to my tale of woe, I decided to toss my Wardrobe Wisdom aside and wear the shawl anyway. Who would notice but me, right?

Fast forward to an hour before the wedding. I had barely squeezed into my dress when I discovered with horror a nickel-sized hole on one side. Now that was going too far! How had I missed that before? Wearing an outfit with two holes was way beyond my comfort level.

In the end, I was thankful for my old standby little black dress. Its simplicity allowed me to carry a beautiful, colorful, embellished bag, and I was able to wear my cute black heels. The shawl looked just fine, and though I felt a bit self-conscious about the hole, I believe it went unnoticed. After all, it was not my day!

P.S. Today, while cleaning out my closet, I found something that would have been perfect for the wedding. It is a black crocheted dress, with a nude slip and an asymmetrical fringed hem. It is so cool! Alas, I wish I had remembered I had it for the wedding. Sigh.

No comments: