Monday, April 18, 2011

It Takes Time


We have all shopped in a hurry, and know that it is not an ideal mode. Somehow we expect to be able to find that perfect pair of jeans, or a special dress, or a darling pair of shoes in 20 minutes. Then we get frustrated, tired, and give up when we try on a few things that don't work. I am hear to say that if you care about fit, style, and quality, you will need to invest some time in shopping.

I recently spent over 4 hours shopping with one of my Santa Barbara Wardrobe Wisdom clients. Since I was the one wearing a watch, she gasped in amazement when I told her the time halfway through. She then commented that no one else would take so much time to shop, thinking she was a particularly challenging client. I told her that smart, careful shoppers do take time.

Now, let me be clear about what an efficient shopper I am: I do not dawdle in front of shoes, wondering if I like them or not or if they would suit a particular client. I do not take my sweet time, touching every knit top slowly to see if I like the way it feels. Instead, I am extremely good at doing a quick recon in a store and then zeroing in on my target items. I can quickly see what garments look good or not and if certain things just need a bit of tailoring.

When you head out to shop, decide what stores you want to hit. You do not need to visit every shop in the mall. Go to the one or ones that you have had the most luck in and/or those that suit your style and needs the best at this time. If you can, find an experienced salesperson who will be both honest and thoughtful. Or bring an honest friend who is shopping compatible (a friend who understands your style, budget, and body shape).

Do one round in the store to get a feel for what they are showcasing and what you want to return to. Then go around again with the salesperson, telling her your needs and showing her what you like. Now you can let her do the work, ferrying things back and forth for you. Let her know what is working for you and what doesn't and why.

If you are on your own, with only bored-looking or vaguely helpful salespeople, do your recon, gather what you want to try on, in different sizes and colors, and start getting undressed. Yes, you will have to try on many things. It is very rare for that perfect garment to find its way to you straight off. This shopping business takes time and effort. But when you find truly wonderful clothing that looks fantastic on you, instead of simply settling for mediocre things, you learn that your time was well spent.

No comments: