Monday, March 14, 2011

Effortless Style: Overrated?




I remember counting how many times the phrase "effortless style" was used in a j jill catalog a number of years ago. It was staggering! Every magazine and catalog advises that we strive for effortless style. Of course, no one wants to look like she spent hours in front of the mirror, trying to get a look just right. However, effortless style does, actually, take some effort!

Today I am running some errands before getting my daughter at school. I am currently wearing the gym clothes I put on at 8 this morning and my hair is in a headband. My dad commented that I looked like a rooster. An effortless look for me could be what I described above, plus a little lip gloss and some silver flip flops. I would look okay: effortless, but not stylish.

What I have in mind is to shower (!), put on some makeup, and slip on a black cotton shift dress. Add some blue dangly earrings and my black ballet flats and the outfit is complete. This ensemble will not require a huge amount of effort, but it will certainly take more work than throwing on flip flops.

My point is that I encourage you to make an effort to look your best. You can do this wearing casual clothing or dressing up for a special event. Check to see you are well-groomed, that your clothing is without tears or stains, and that you have added an unusual accessory to your outfit. Showing the world that you care about yourself goes a long way in assuring you are treated well.

No comments: