Monday, March 7, 2011

True Artisans



In the past couple of weeks I spent time with some artisans. Some created exquisite woolens and others created beautiful pastries. Here is what they shared: a love of craft, devotion to their field, heightened senses, and a consistent drive for excellence. You will be awestruck by these masters in the wonderful film "Kings of Pastry" and in Esquire's video series "Manufacture."

What I took away from these masters is a desire to not compromise. I don't want to purchase cheap, mass-marketed clothing. I don't want to pop a candy bar in my mouth when more carefully created, delicious treats exist. Critics can say that fine cashmere and delicate pastries are only for the rich. I say skip the cheap stuff and save up for what is worthwhile: quality.

No comments: