Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Lean Wardrobe




How many clothes do I really need? I often wonder if this is a trick question. Does the client want me to insist she gets rid of everything but one outfit to make her morning ritual easier? Or does she want to me to say, "Ha! there is no such thing as too many clothes?" Is she looking for permission to hold onto outdated items, saying she's saving money by not making new purchases? I think some people just wonder how their closet compares to others. Is it bigger? Smaller? Out of control?

How refreshing it was to read "Ask Nick Sullivan" in February's Esquire magazine. He answers a reader's question, "How many clothes do I really need?" with a neat list:

2 suits
2 blazers
12 dress shirts
2 pairs dress shoes
3 to 5 ties
2 pairs casual shoes
4 sweaters
4 chinos
jeans or casual pants

I love this at the end: "Socks and undershirts, meanwhile, are no place to be economical."

I have made "must have" lists for women. However, such lists get complicated and have to be tailored to each client. Try making one for yourself. It can be an enlightening exercise.

No comments: