Monday, October 4, 2010

Saving Money--Be Specific




It was so easy not to buy a purse earlier this week. I had a clear picture in my mind of what I wanted. Well, what I really wanted was the purse I foolishly did not buy in France this summer. Aside from that, what I was looking for was a leather purse in a blue between navy and royal, small to medium in size, with not too much silver-toned hardware, pebble grain, with no logos, and for a moderate price. Really, was I asking too much?

When I went shopping for my purse I gave the saleswomen the above description, and though I could sense their eyes rolling behind my back, I stuck to my vision. They showed me a number of lovely purses, but none were just right. So, I saved myself money by not purchasing one. . .

until the next day when I found the perfect purse (if only the straps were thicker). Jeez I am picky! Seriously though, I could have bought another bag during these 3 months I've been looking, but I would not have loved it. I would have longed for the bag and would have continued to troll the handbag departments of stores. It is like when you order something in a restaurant and then, thinking you could have ordered something better, you look at all the food passing by your table and then covet your dining partner's meal when it arrives. Maybe I am the only one who does that. My point is that by being particular and specific about what you want, you do not settle for less, and in the end, you are very content with your purchase.

No comments: