Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"I'll call you when I lose weight."




This is what I hear frequently when I tell women what I do. My answers to them, which are said gently, are as follows:

But what about now? Don't you want to look and feel good while you are losing weight?

What if it takes awhile? Is it motivating to wear sloppy clothing you don't feel good in?

How about re-working the wardrobe you have now, in preparation for your weight loss? We can spruce up some pieces and edit out ones that do not match the new future you.

During my rounder days, I remember getting very bummed when I saw clothing in my closet that no longer fit me. I also remember shopping for cute things that fit me and made me feel good. When I lost weight, I had some of those cute clothes tailored. I have said it before, and I wish I could take credit for making this up, but it bears repeating:

Your closet should not be a museum nor a hope chest.

Embrace who you are now, and value that person enough to have clothing that reflects your self-worth positively. And last, but definitely not least, if you are someone who is plus-size and healthy, it is far better to stay that size than let your weight go up and down. You can dress very well, honoring your full figure!

No comments: