Saturday, May 8, 2010

Travel Packing




I am going to Europe this summer with my family! I am so excited I can hardly sit still. This trip is one I've been dreaming about for years.

Of course one of my first considerations is what I am going to pack. We are spending a week in Paris, and after that we'll be with family in small towns and villages. Europeans are famous for looking great while repeatedly wearing the same clothing. In that spirit, I don't need several weeks' worth of chic city clothing. In addition, since I may be compelled to do some Wardrobe Wisdom research that involves shopping, I must leave ample room in my suitcase for any necessary purchases.

My plan is to pack clothing in primarily 3 colors, gray, navy, and white. This may not sound like a thrilling wardrobe, but I can make several outfits out of the following:
2 gray short sleeve t-shirts
2 navy t-shirts, one long and one short sleeve
navy skirt
black knit dress
jeans
red and white print skirt
gray sweater
pink pashmina
red, white, and blue scarf
gray sandals
gray ballet flats
gray flip flops
black bathing suit and navy cover-up
2 white tank tops
bras and panties
nightgown

The idea behind packing just a few colors is the ability to create easily coordinating outfits. In addition, I've grounded my outfits in navy, a color that will not require frequent washing to look spiffy.

Last weekend I did a practice pack, showing it off to my two girls. My youngest took one look at my rolled up, compact packing and remarked, "There is no way all my clothes will fit in my bag like that." She loves getting dressed and values variety. On the other hand, my older daughter dresses very simply these days so she will probably pack less than me. She will undoubtedly pack less than my husband, who likes to have clothing for any possible situation and/or disaster.

No comments: