Monday, May 17, 2010

HOT

A woman the other day asked me to identify "the hottest tops" of the season. She sort of caught me off guard, and I ended up feeling inadequate for not being able to rattle off a litany of trendy tops. Then I realized that her question went against the way I look at clothing.

Sure, I read the magazines and blogs, and I shop all the time. Being highly aware of the season's trends is part of my job. But I am always looking at the overall picture, asking myself what I like, what works, what doesn't suit me but is something I understand and can appreciate. I am also thinking about my clients and considering what clothing would be good for them. What I don't do is seek out the latest "hot" looks.

Is this because I'm over 40? I don't think so. I think my aversion to only looking at the latest hot looks has more to do with knowing my style. When I am in stores I like to try on things that will complement what I have first. Then I may add a piece or two each season to update or spice up my wardrobe (hence the silver belt last fall and the maxi dress this spring). I'll leave the emphasis on the latest trends to other stylists and bloggers.

No comments: