Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bathing Suit Wisdom






Shopping for bathing suits takes time. It is not always a joy, but you must wear something decent to the beach or pool, right?

This year I needed some simple bathing suit bottoms, so I headed to the wonderful Bikini Factory in Summerland. Megan asked me what I was looking for and brought suit after suit for me to try on. We assessed what worked and what did not look good, and why. She was tireless, and I finally found something that was just right.

Besides taking the time to find a suitable suit, it is important to know what is flattering for your body. I know this sounds radical, but I must say that in general a tankini is not a flattering option. Sure, it conceals a soft belly and is more modest than a bikini, but for the most part tankinis look frumpy. I know, I know there will be many who disagree. My friend Stacy has already told me (rather passionately) she disagrees and defended the tankini.

Still, I believe a stylish one-piece is a much better option. I am also fond of swim skirts if you are not keen on showing your hips, bottom, or upper thighs.

Besides heading to the Bikini Factory (which sells great one pieces as well), check out the bathing suits at Land's End. They have done exhaustive research on body shapes and issues women have with bathing suits. Their styles are cute and varied.

Shopping for suits with a fun friend can make the experience less of a chore. You two can celebrate your search being over with coffee and dessert afterward.

No comments: