Sunday, March 7, 2010

That's How It Should Be!


I scored two cute cotton knit tops at Saks yesterday. They were on sale and were further discounted at the register. FUN! I love it when that happens.

While I was chatting with the saleswoman, she said I "must try on this amazing jacket." I told her I was not really a jacket person, but I had some time to kill and she seemed very excited about the jacket. When I put it on, it seemed made for me. The seams were smooth and gave me a flattering silhouette, nipped in at the waist; the shoulders were softly padded, making me look strong yet feminine; and it had just one pretty button, fashioned into a large rose. Every seam was perfectly matched up, the fabric was buttery soft, and the color was a dark blue, white, and black subtle check.

Knowing that the jacket was a Giorgio Armani, I was somewhat prepared for the price: $1,495. Yes!!! It was a $1,500 jacket! If I were to purchase it, I would be paying for the exceptional workmanship, the attention to detail in every stitch, and the jacket's timeless nature. Of course I would be paying to have Mr. Armani's name in my wardrobe as well.

Since I was in no position to purchase such an expensive item, I smiled and handed it back to the salesperson. We both ooo'd and ahhh'd and sighed while she put it on the hanger. I left the store with my two bargain T-shirts, feeling not sad but a little wiser. Trying on the amazing Armani reminded me what clothing should feel and look like.

Even though I cannot afford such luxury, I will use the jacket as a point of reference when I try on other things. All clothing should fit beautifully and make us look our best. When it does not, even after taking alterations into consideration, leave it in the store or get it out of your closet.

No comments: