Thursday, March 4, 2010

Just Right

Today I returned some gym/walking shoes to Outfooters, at La Cumbre Mall. Last week I was very happy to purchase these shoes since my old ones were very worn out. The minute I put the new ones on, I felt a spring in my step.

However, when I wore them on a long walk, they slipped up and down in the back, rubbed my inner ankles, and left me with a sore knee. That last description sounds random, but I've learned that when my knees hurt, my shoes do not fit well. I had clearly bought the wrong size.

Having worked in small retail stores over the years, I understand their strict return policies. Unlike large chain stores, small businesses operate with limited capital and it is not feasible for them to have liberal return policies. So when I spoke to the Outfitters owner, Jay, I let him know that I was just calling to see if there was anything he could do about my shoe dilemma. Not only had I worn them outside, but I could not locate my receipt (this is very unlike me!). He graciously offered to order me the shoes in a smaller size and did not give me grief for wearing them.

Today Jay called and said he had my shoes. When I went to pick them up, he was polite and understanding. He truly seemed to care about my comfort and the critical importance of a good fit. Jay's excellent customer service has solidified my loyalty to his store and when I need a new pair of tennis shoes (whose day is coming soon), I know where I will go.

No comments: