Monday, March 22, 2010

A Bit of a Rut



We had a crisis in my house yesterday. My eldest daughter, above, who is usually cheerful and fun-loving, is rather attached to her jeggings. She wears them every day, causing me to squeeze in washings while she sleeps. Somehow, I had fallen down on my duty, and both pairs of jeggings were in the laundry basked Saturday morning. Yikes!

Did she happily scan her closet and put on something else? No. Did she sweetly ask her mother if her jeggings were clean? No. Instead, she pawed through the laundry basket, triumphantly emerging with soiled, smelly pants, ready to put them on. Ick! Even though she was just going to play at a friend's house, I told her she could not wear the jeggings.

This led to some ranting about not liking anything else in her closet, questions regarding my housekeeping skills, complaints about her other pants, and general sourness. In the end, she put on some pajama bottoms and left the house in a huff.

While my daughter's behavior was extreme, it pointed out a tendency a lot of us to get stuck in a rut. Instead of reaching for that old favorite pair of jeans, white T-shirt, black shoes, etc., branch out! Put on something you haven't worn in awhile, something colorful or special. Put on a dressy necklace or a shirt in a bright color. Chances are you will feel uplifted and refreshed, just like I told Jane!

No comments: