Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What Do I Think?




More than one person has asked me to opine about InStyle magazine's "Closet Commandments" in its August issue. I got several good ideas from this piece (I love the clear acrylic clothing rod), and recognized some familiar tools and systems of the trade. I also noticed some storage "solutions"  that have not worked for me or my clients. Much of the suggestions assume you are a single woman who lives alone; therefore you can do things like hang your jeans decoratively, display your handbags as works of art, and install pretty accessory holders throughout your bedroom in plain sight. Since I have already taken over our big closet, I have given up my rights to any more clothing and accessories real estate in my house. I also worry about the dust that would accumulate on jewelry, scarves, and belts if they are left to the elements.

Overall, I do think this article is worth reading, but keep in mind your particular needs and space. I must also recommend that you do NOT purchase the belt and accessory loop or scarf hanger set (page 157) unless you enjoy battling with these dubious tools every day. My belts are hung on hooks on the back wall of my closet, and my scarves are stacked in piles of 4 or hung two to a hanger. The Baroque hangers at Unitrex, featured in the photo, were new to me. They appear to be attractive and functional!

No comments: