Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shopping with a 13-Year Old

When my daughter was little


Yesterday I spent nearly 2 hours in a cramped dressing room, listening to VERY LOUD techno music while my daughter tried on clothes. Sure, it was partly tortuous, but at the same time I was delighted to be shopping with her and was even more happy that she seemed to listen (with at least one ear) to my opinions and advice. Of course much of her time was spent taking photos of herself in various outfits and sending them to her peers, seeking their input.

What I heard from her in the end was this: "I would like to buy a few things and take them home to make sure they work with other things in my wardrobe. If they don't we should return them." This was music to my Wardrobe Wisdom ears! My daughter has learned she is the kind of shopper who needs to try on things at home, playing with her wardrobe and taking her time to determine if she really wants and loves the new items or not. My friend Stacy is the same kind of shopper and perhaps you are, too.

It is helpful to know if you are someone who needs to take things home first before committing. Once you have determined that you can in fact return what you are considering, make the purchase and head home. This way you won't waste time in the store, dwelling on whether you truly like something or not. What kind of shopper are you?

No comments: