Friday, August 5, 2011

What Is a Southern California Woman to Do?




Even I use a personal shopper sometimes. For example, I am forever on a quest for something warm yet summery-ish to wear from May through September. Jenelle at Nordstrom is still looking for that perfect piece.

Many women I talk to share the chill I feel in the evenings in Santa Barbara and feel like they have to change clothing several times a day to be comfortable. The mornings can be foggy and cool; the afternoons are downright gorgeous and sunny; and when the sun starts to go down, it is cold (no, not cold, cold, but relatively cool again.

Below are some things I do when the weather is not in my ideal zone (which my husband mockingly describes as between 72 and 76 degrees). He thinks I am a bit wimpy.

1. Carry a shawl: I have a lightweight but warm (cashmere or wool) scarf in my car or in my bag to wrap around me when it cools down. Even putting it around my neck can make me feel cozy.

2. Change shoes mid-day: I may start off in ballet flats or cute sneakers, and then change to sandals.

3. Roll up pants: When I leave my house in the morning, my white jeans are full-length. But when I start to warm up, I roll them up for a great summer look.

4. Layer, layer, layer: You may hear this all the time, but it is good advice. I make sure that every layer I have on looks okay by itself. For example, if I wear a tank under my sweater, I make sure to have on a strapless bra so the tank looks good when the day gets warmer.

I realize that those reading this blog who live outside of Southern California are not crying any tears for me or my neighbors. They regularly have to contend with blazingly hot days and nights and humidity that makes me weep. I admit we are quite spoiled with our weather here, but that doesn't mean we can't complain!

No comments: