Friday, August 12, 2011

From a Surprising Source




Ann Patchett is one of my most cherished authors. Her exquisitely written novels transport me to different places and introduce me to complex, fascinating characters. While reading her most recent book, "State of Wonder," I was not expecting to find a passage for my blog.

But here it is, a description about a character's high heeled sandals she was ill-advised to wear in hot, muggy Brazil:

"[Doctor Swenson] motioned for Easter to hand her one of the shoes and she looked at it as if it were a rare archeological find. 'It's difficult for me to understand why a woman would choose to do that to herself.' She returned the silver sandal to its mate.

'It is a mystery to me as well,' Marina said. She would not try to defend the shoes. They were indefensible. She would walk barefoot for the rest of her life before she'd put them on again."

Indefensible shoes. I love that description!

No comments: