Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Proud Moment




One thing I have learned from working with dozens of Wardrobe Wisdom clients is how much our shopping habits and behavior goes back to our childhood. Some women learned how to look for quality and fit from their moms. There are some women who show me clothing their mothers have given or purchased for them--clothing they don't like but have a hard time parting with. Others learned how to track down a bargain. A lot of women never learned how to shop for their body type and nor developed their own style because their moms were not interested in clothing. I could write an entire book about mother/daughter shopping stories.

What I want to recount here was a proud moment with my own daughter, who is twelve and a half. We don't always agree on what "appropriate" means, and I sometimes struggle with shopping in her favorite stores which give me sensory overload within moments. However, when she was considering some shorts the other day, she said, "Mom, I just don't know about the color. Tell me three things I have that will go with this." She knows that I tell my clients to only purchase items they can coordinate with 3 pieces they already own. Instead of coming home with the shorts and never putting them on, she (I) made a thoughtful purchase.

No comments: