Sunday, June 13, 2010

Strangely Light




Last night I started to put away things in my room, making space for the family who will be living in our house while we live in their house in France. Of course I enjoy de-cluttering and organizing and happily got rid of some things.

What stands out about this space-making is how light it has made me feel. After I'd stored my jewelry, just keeping out a plastic Swatch, a silver chain with a simple pearl pendant, and my silver hoop earrings, I realized how easy it would be to accessorize. When I got dressed today, I put on these 3 items and was ready to go. There was no fussing over what would go best, what earrings would complement the necklace I wore, or what watch to wear. I felt relieved and surprised to wonder if choosing jewelry on a daily basis was truly something I liked to do.

Then I spoke with a friend today whose mother's house was recently burglarized. She lost all of her jewelry, including beloved pieces from her mother, mother-in-law, deceased husband, and grandmother. Her sadness made me re-think my recent feelings. Would I feel so liberated if my jewelry was taken away from me, or did having a choice in the matter make me feel free?

In any event, I think wearing the same clothing and jewelry for 5 weeks will be a good experience. Most of us can live with a lot less than what we have.

No comments: