Thursday, June 3, 2010

Makeup



Knowing how to apply makeup well is a gift. With the proper application, makeup can enhance our best features and downplay those we are not so keen on.

When I was growing up in the 1970s, in Newport Beach before it became so ostentatious and glitzy, girls did not wear makeup. Sure, we put Vaseline on our lips and eyelashes, but hardly anyone wore more than that, even at formal dances. Consequently, I did not play around with makeup like other girls and young women, and entered college ignorant of those skills.

Things have not changed dramatically now that I am in my 40s. While I have had a few makeovers since my teens, they have often left me feeling like a hooker. The "light touch" I request does not always compute with young women at department store makeup counters. And though I have watched friends apply makeup with an expert hand, I've not felt competent in this area.

Talking to clients and friends has revealed that I am not alone in my makeup know-how deficit. So imagine how delighted I was to meet makeup artist Holly Atkins. She understands and listens to what a woman wants makeup-wise, and has vast experience helping women feel beautiful. This fall Holly will be helping me put together a special event, highlighting makeup techniques. I'll keep you posted.

You can reach Holly at hydeparkholly@gmail.com.

No comments: