Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Patty Montana

I imagine everyone in Santa Barbara knows by now that Patty Montana in Goleta is closing its doors forever. This Tuesday week was the start of the big sale.

In 1995 I was driving down Calle Real and saw the Patty Montana sign. Having been familiar with the original PM on Canon Perdido, I could hardly contain my excitement. Within months I was working there a few days a week while working at SBCC.

What a great place to work! I was surrounded by beautiful clothing--all the things I loved such as simple t-shirts, jeans, and skirts made out of cotton and linen. I also adored the silver jewelry.

When my manager, and good friend, went on maternity leave at Patty, I took over. This meant I had to order some things, request return authorizations for others, make bank deposits, and handle customer concerns. Being in charge was enjoyable since the shop was small and the responsibilities were manageable.

I worked at Patty before, during, and after my two girls were born. Sometimes I would underestimate the size of my expanding belly and would bump into shelves. On the dead slow, rainy days, during the center's renovation period, I knit my soon-to-be-born daughter's first afghan. I remember when Jeannine's Bakery was briefly on the corner and I would go there for treats twice a day. Good times.

Once the shop was sold, the new owner brought in more merchandise and had a more eclectic aesthetic. Still, I enjoyed chatting with wonderful customers and helping them find clothing and accessories that made them feel good.

In all, I worked in the store for 15 years. I'll miss the shop and the special people who worked there as well as the loyal customers. I wish another charming women's boutique would come to Goleta.

No comments: