Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Provencal Fashion





Today marked the first true shopping day in France. My family went to Aix-en-Provence, the sunny, charming town full of universities and fountains. The town is also full of incredibly great stores. I spent awhile in a shoe store, marveling at the popularity of Birkenstock sandals; I also spent a long time browsing in the open market, and scored a cute cotton top.

The best education I received in Aix was obtained during lunch at an outdoor cafe. After I stopped giving the stink eye to the woman at the next table who switched bread baskets with us when I went to the restroom, I set my sights on the passersby.

From teenage girls to 70+ old women, the look was chic. Scarves were not very prevalent, but above-the-knee length linen dresses in white, black, and khaki were everywhere. Ruffles on skirts and dresses were worn by the younger crowd, but women of all ages wore the shorter dresses. Almost every woman had a gladiator sandal though some wore wedge sandals. To me, they all looked very casual, comfortable, and fashionable.

My only regret of the day was getting in Aix too late for the open produce market. It is supposed to be extraordinary!

No comments: