Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Good Friend


Last week, a friend and I were planning a day when our daughters could get together. This friend said she could just drop her daughter off or "help me with any project around the house." Knowing this friend, I did not question the sincerity of her offer, but it took me awhile to respond.

As someone who helps people streamline and organize their wardrobes for a living, I often think my house must look perfect at all times and have bouts of insecurity when I know it does not. I wondered if my friend thought I was a complete slacker as a housekeeper and needed some help. I wondered if she would judge me based on the terrific mess in my garage (which I can largely blame my husband for). Since our friendship is rather new, I wasn't ready to let her see the chaos of my downstairs closet. However, in the end I put my insecurities aside and accepted her generous offer.

She and I spent over an hour sorting out my linen closet. We laughed and chatted the entire time, and she helped me part with things I did not even know I was attached to. I pride myself on being able to purge items from my closet without batting an eye. Why, then did I hold onto an old, sun-faded duvet cover that I had no intention of putting on my bed? Why did I keep the garish yellow sheets my mom gave me? Was I ever going to do anything with the remnants from a furniture-recovering project? Why did I keep two sets of what I referred to as "pilly, cheap" sheets for my girls' beds? And why did I have so many extra pillows when we don't have a guest bed? My friend asked me these and other questions in a friendly, non-judgmental way, and helped me pare down considerably.

Now my linen closet looks beautiful, with plenty of space between the stacks of towels and sheets and no random items lurk in its corners. I keep peeking at it at least twice a day, and it makes me feel elated and free. Even my husband noticed how nice it looks and said he would like to keep it that way!



This time with my friend left me feeling grateful and happy. Paring down helps us see what we truly need and like. Having another person, with objective eyes, guide us to a clearer space is a gift.

No comments: