Friday, January 29, 2010

Finishing Touches

Do you ever look in the mirror, think your outfit is missing something, and then add that perfect accessory which brings it all together? For some people, doing this is second nature. For most of us, it takes some thought. And that extra thought is worth it!

There are a few things to remember about accessories. One has to do with balance. If you are wearing a colorful outfit, your accessories should be more plain. Last week I wore a purple and pink striped sweater with my jeans. Since the sweater was colorful, I accessorized with simple silver earrings and a silver necklace. On the other hand, today I wore green corduroy pants and a green top. No! I did not look like Gumby! ( At least I don't think I did). Since my outfit had color but was monochromatic, I wore earrings that sparkled with green and lavender stones. More plain-colored outfits call for print scarves or colorful, unusual jewelry.

Another aspect of accessorizing has to do with one's size. Since I am petite, I look and feel absurd in large prints and oversized jewelry. Taller women can pull off large prints, big bracelets, earrings, and necklaces, and big handbags.

Accessories are meant to complement, not overshadow your overall look. What this means most of the time is that choosing one standout accessory is a good idea. Wear some interesting earrings, and then wear an understated scarf or simple necklace. If you wear a lot of eye-catching accessories, people don't know where to look, and your outfit gets lost.

I love to see women who are confident in their accessory choices. A woman on the library board with me never fails to wear unusual, ethnic-inspired necklaces. My good friend from college can always be counted on to wear cool earrings. Another friend is gifted at wearing scarves and wraps. So look through your accessories and play around with them. They can make getting dressed quite fun.

No comments: