Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Shopping for Quality

My mom is a stickler for quality. She sniffs derisively when she spots a skirt whose pattern does not match up at the seams. She smells purses to see if the leather is good. She looks to see if the seams are finished in any given item. When I was little, these traits made me impatient while we shopped. Now I appreciate how she taught me to look for quality when I shop.

Not everyone has such a picky mom, though. In fact, one thing my Wardrobe Wisdom business has taught me is that women learn how to shop, or how not to shop, from our mothers. Here then is a primer from InStyle magazine on how to spot quality:

1. Beads: Fabric should be strong enough to support any embellishment. Seams around detailing shouldn't be pulled or stretched.

2. Buttons: Gently tug on each to make sure they're all well-anchored.

3. Lining: The key is one that feels good on your skin, and that helps the garment hang correctly.

4. Pattern: Polka dots, stripes, houndstooth--any repeating print/pattern--should line up perfectly, not off-kilter, at the seams.

5. Seams: French seams are the ultimate as they are turned under and beautifully finished to hide raw edges. I am still shocked to find so many expensive items with sloppy, unfinished seams.

6. Zipper: Test it a few times. Does it glide easily? Snags are a red alert that it's cheaply made and may not last long.

No comments: