Thursday, October 15, 2009

Saks Fifth Avenue


Over the years I have heard friends and Wardrobe Wisdom clients complain about the unwelcoming environment at Saks. Yet many of these same people have no problem shopping at Blue Bee and its offspring--stores that make me feel like a country bumpkin. Perhaps shoppers need to visit Saks again to feel more comfortable there.

During my recent tour of Saks, with its down-to-earth, friendly women's departments manager, I met some very nice sales clerks and was extremely impressed with the store's inventory. There is something for everybody (Well, almost. There is no longer a men's department) at Saks. For working women, clothing by Tahari, Theory, Natorious, Akris Pinto, and Zenobia is just right. Even wearing one piece from one of these designers can give a businesswoman confidence; they are beautiful and well-made. I am a big fan of Theory and I so love clothing by Milly.

For decades Burberry was known for its iconic trench coat. Now it offers some more fun and lively pieces. I saw a number of on-trend, cute jackets and great outerwear pieces.

The section of the store I loved the most is downstairs, where menswear used to be. In this contemporary department, I saw a staggering selection of premium denim jeans, lovely pieces by Joie and Twill Twenty-Two, super nice clothing by Marc by Marc Jacobs, and loads of separates to mix and match. The selection of shirts by James Perse is the largest I've seen anywhere, and I saw a number of good-looking belts. This section of the store is hip, fresh, and full of surprises without being pretentious.

So, ladies, it is time to give Saks another chance. I'd love to hear about your experiences.

No comments: