Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Enough

I often get asked by my Santa Barbara wardrobe clients--as well as by friends--"How many clothes are enough?"

Enough is being able to look put-together and polished on a daily basis, for any occasion, without having to paw through mounds of clothing in your closet. You do not need 10 pairs of jeans, 10 pairs of black pants, or 10 white blouses, even if each one is just a little different. 3 of each of these staples is enough. And if you do purchase one of these items new, then get rid of an old one.

When I was 16 I got my first job in retail. For two years I worked at various department stores during school breaks and on weekends so I could buy clothes and save money for a trip when I graduated high school. At 18 I went to France to visit my mom's family. I packed two enormous duffle bags, not imagining that I could duplicate my outfits for a month.

When my cousin met me at the airport, she expressed some shock at the size of my two bags. After a week in which I wore a different outfit every day, I noticed that my cousin, who was my age, wore the same clothes every day. She always looked cute and appropriate. I felt ridiculous and excessive.

Over time I have learned that there is a balance to be found. Yes, I am in stores constantly and do like to buy new clothes. But I do not need much each season--none of us do. I look at what I have, make a list of what items would update my look and what items need replacing, and go from there. This saves me from making silly impulse buys and from having way more than "enough."

No comments: