Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bill Again

Okay, I admit to being quite obsessed with photographer Bill Cunningham these days. In my first blog about him, I described him as a non-fashion person. As I learn more about him, I find my description is not wholly accurate.

In his own words: "The main thing I love about street photography is that you find the answers you don't see at the fashion shows. You find information for readers so they can visualize themselves. This was something I realized early on: If you just cover the designers in the shows, that's only one facet. You also need the street and the evening hours. If you cover the three things, you have the full picture of what people are wearing."

He is not traditional fashion person in that he does not design clothing, sit in the front row at shows, or write about it in glossy magazines. The following sums up his outlook and history: "I started photographing people in the street during World War II. I just loved to see wonderfully dressed women, and I still do. I think fashion is as vital and interesting as ever." To read more about this highly talented man, go to Bill on Bill.

And to see his fabulous photos of post-Election Day dressing on the street go to the New York Times.

No comments: