Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Give It a Whirl

I found myself at Ulta Beauty in Goleta, California for several hours the other day. My youngest daughter is enamored with this store, and likes to go up and down the aisles, examining the merchandise, oohing and aahing over new discoveries. We are always impressed by the helpful, friendly, and non-pushy women who work there. One was especially patient when my daughter was looking for just the right shade of lipstick.

During the lipstick quest, I tried on an eyeliner a friend had suggested for me. The color was lovely and it went on smoothly. However, after the second hour of being in the store, I noticed that it had smudged and faded. Therefore, I did not make the purchase.

This led me to think about how we often shop. When it comes to shoes, I feel like most of us try them on in the store, walk around a bit, then wear them at home before committing.  But when it comes to clothing, we just try it on briefly, then wear it out, and only later realize it isn't really "us" doesn't fit well, go with much, etc. I am not suggesting you wear an item around the store for two hours since no one has that kind of time and I am not sure the salespeople would approve. Yet I do suggest wearing the item around your home for a good period of time before you decide to keep it. And if you have some time, by all means wear it around the store for a bit. You may just save yourself from making unwise purchases.

No comments: