Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What, No Mirror

Hall of Mirrors, Versailles, France

I spent several hours people-watching at an outdoor mall the other day. My 13-year old daughter and her friend were shopping; I was asked to stay behind. This suited me just fine since I got to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes while taking breaks to catch up on my newspaper reading. 

I gained more than a few Wardrobe Wisdom insights from those hours. One that struck me most was an apparent mirror shortage in people's homes. This had to be the only explanation for a woman in a smart pair of white ankle pants, a chic black sleeveless blouse, and cute black sandals. . . WITH a wide open top in the back, revealing her worn out nude bra band. I felt confused. I also did not understand how anyone would knowingly leave her house with her bottom hanging out of her shorts or a woman whose tummy fighting for its life in a striped dress. Come on! None of these looks was attractive nor did any look in the least bit comfortable. Where are the mirrors? 

P.S. A number of men seemed to have no mirrors in their homes either. 


No comments: