Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fragrance 101



Putting on a scent has become part of my morning routine, along with moisturizing my face (with SPF!). I like to wear the light, fresh J'adore by Dior and when I need a touch-up later in the day I use Trish McEvoy's #9 Blackberry and Vanilla Musk. In the evening I wear Chanel No. 5. I love it when my daughters tell me that they like recognizing my scent on my clothes. And I still remember my mom's scent when I was growing up: L'Air du Temps.

What follows is a primer on the different forms fragrance comes in, thanks to InStyle magazine.

Parfum: You will pay the most for this most pure and concentrated form. It is also the longest lasting and most intense.

Eau de Parfum: It is a bit less expensive than parfum, and has about a 16 to 18 percent concentration of fragrance.

Eau de Toilette: This is usually sold as a spray and has a 12 to 15 percent concentration. This lighter scent can be used more liberally than those above.

Cologne: The lightest of the fragrances with a 6 to 8 percent concentration. You can apply this generously and will need to apply it throughout the day as the scent does not linger.

No comments: